Up until a few years ago people had managed their data backups and computer files storage manually. They had to purchase an external hard-drive or a USB, copy their files and update them frequently to make sure nothing gets lost or neglected. Since the remote online storage services appeared, more and more users have adopted the advanced cloud backup technologies conducted by companies such as SugarSync, Dropbox, 4Shared, Google Drive and many other. Those companies have kept developing and made a huge progress launching the sync feature. This feature, actually, free us all from the tiresome responsibility of backing up new materials to all the different devices we use.
By using cloud technologies through SugarSync, 4Shared and similar providers you gain some major advantages:
- Safer – The online backups are stored in a remote location and not under the same roof with the source files.
- Easy access – you can access your files from almost any device.
- Share – you may allow public file sharing or authorize certain people to access your files.
- Backup and sync – automated scheduled backups, versions history, and sync files across different devices you use etc.
- Free services and reasonable upgrade prices.
- Ease of use – most systems are user friendly, fast and require no preceding skill
- Support – online help through detailed instructions, tutorials, phone and mail support and FAQ.
SugarSync and 4Shared are two of the leading players in the international online storage market. These providers enable users to backup, sync and share all of their files, including rich media files, and access them from any computer or mobile device. They both have user friendly platforms and limited free services, which usually have enough space to satisfy the needs of private users or even small businesses.
The services SugarSync and 4Shared offer are pretty much the same, and the most noticeable difference is their free storage capacity and prices. Here, are some of the main features each of the companies provides:
- 5GB free storage
- Backup any folder
- Real-time upload of changes
- Many sync options including sync through mail and sync shared folders
- Access files from any computer or mobile device
- Share files and folders any size and set your private permissions
- Open API to allow 3rd party apps integration
- Premium prices: 30GB – $4.99/month; 60GB – $9.99/month; 100GB – $14.99/month; 250GB – $24.99/month; 500GB – $39.99/month
- 15GB free storage
- Secured files Backup (for premium account)
- Real-time upload of changes
- Account history
- 24/7 technical support
- File comments, password protection and customized background.
- Access files from any computer, mobile device or tablet
- Share files and folders with anyone (or set access level) by sending web-based link
- Premium prices: 100GB – $9.95/month or $77.95/year
Both SugarSync and 4Shared have many other features; some are available only for premium accounts and other are granted for free. They both offer 1 month of free trial promoting their premium accounts, which is highly recommended for new users, in order to check the actual performance and whether or not this provider suits your particular needs.
For more information check out the companies’ web sites: